Enhance your favourite falafel recipe with turmeric and chickpeas to assist your workouts. Stay true to your Meatless Monday with these mouthwatering falafels. Rich in protein, fibre and slow-burning carbs to help fuel your training and boost recovery.
Tip: Turmeric contains curcumin which may help to reduce exercise-induced inflammation.
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 tbs milk
½ cup dill, finely chopped
¼ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 large zucchini, grated, excess moisture removed.
Extra virgin olive oil spray
½ cup panko bread crumbs
1. In a high-speed blender, add chickpeas, dill, turmeric, cumin, pinch of salt and pepper and process until roughly chopped.
2. Whisk milk and eggs in a jug.
3. Place flour in a mixing bowl. Gradually pour milk mixture to flour, whisking until smooth. Stir in chickpea mixture and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Roll the mixture into little balls and coat in panko bread crumbs
5. Heat a large fry pan over medium to high heat, spray oil and cook balls in batches for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm
6. Serve with salad/lettuce cups or chutney.