Rich and creamy, without the saturated fat compared to a traditional carbonara. Teamed with omega-3 rich prawns for an added protein boost. This recipe is low GI and high protein. Each serve contains 2357 kJ, 62g carbs, 38g protein, 17.5g fat, 2g fibre.
10-12 green king prawns
170g spaghetti (85g each serve)
3 egg yolks
Handful parsley, chopped
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated, extra for garnish
1 tbsp olive oil
½ lemon freshly squeezed
1. Shell and de-vein the prawns, keeping tails intact. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, spray with oil, fry the prawns until just cooked, roughly 2 minutes each side. Set aside, cover with foil to keep warm.
3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil over medium to high heat. Cook pasta for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente.
4. Reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid and drain the pasta. Return the pasta to the pan on low heat.
5. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolk and season with salt and pepper.
6. Slowly pour the egg mixture to the pan and gentle fold through the pasta with remaining cooking liquid. Be careful not scramble the egg.
7. Gently top the pasta with cooked prawns, and gently fold through the pasta. Sprinkle the parsley, grated parmesan and drizzle olive oil, squeeze quarter of a lemon. Gently toss to mix through.
8. Serve and season with salt and pepper extra lemon and parmesan.