With a crunchy outside and a delicious centre, these haloumi fritters are an easy weeknight dinner idea or perfect for a satisfying lunch. This recipe is vegetarian, high protein and freezable.
Makes roughly 10 fritters. Each fritter contains 442 kJ (105 cals), 9g carbs, 6g protein, 5g fat and 2g fibre.
½ cauliflower, cut into florets
2 zucchinis, grated, excess moisture removed
¾ cup plain flour
1 small onion, grated, excess moisture removed
150g haloumi, grated
1 tsp dried thyme
2 whole eggs, beaten
1 tb olive oil
Mint yoghurt sauce
½ cup Greek yoghurt
1 clove garlic, grated
2 tb chopped mint
1 tb lemon juice
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 6 minutes.
2. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Using a potato masher, gently mash cauliflower.
3. Add to the mashed cauliflower: egg, flour, thyme, onions, zucchini and haloumi. Mix until well combined.
4. Heat fry pan over medium heat, add oil. Cook 2 heaped tablespoons of the mixture for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown and coked through. Transfer to a plate.
5. For mint yoghurt sauce, combine the yoghurt, garlic, mint and lemon juice in a bowl. Serve fritters with dressing.
Leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days
Store in an air-tight container and freeze for no longer than 2 months