Skip the sausage meat with hearty lentil and mushroom filling which are packed full of nutritional goodness and are bursting with flavour.
Tip: Lentils provide protein and sustenance that can replace meat in meals.
This recipe is vegetarian. Makes roughly 10 rolls. Each serve contains 440kJ (104 cals), 14g carbs, 6g protein, 2g fat and 3g fibre.
1 can French ‘puy’ lentils, rinsed, drained
1 onion, finely diced
1 garlic glove, crushed
1 tsp lemon thyme, sprigs removed,
1 tbs parsley, chopped
1 zucchini, grated (excess moisture removed)
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
½ cup quinoa flakes
1 tb barbecue sauce
1 egg, beaten (extra to brush on puff pastry)
Sesame seeds to sprinkle
3 sheets filo pastry*
*This recipe also works well with puff pastry.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C and line one baking tray with baking paper.
2. Heat a large fry pan over medium heat, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add the mushroom, lemon thyme, parsley and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add cooked mixture with lentils, quinoa flakes, zucchini, and egg and season with salt and pepper, and mix until well combined.
4. Place 2 sheets of filo on top of each other lengthways.
5. Lightly brush with oil. Place one more sheet on top and brush with oil.
6. Cut filo in half horizontally.
7. Using your hands squeeze out excess liquid
8. Use half the mixture and place in the centre of the foil, . to resemble a sausage like shape along the length of filo, leaving a 3cm border at each side.
9. Fold both sides into the centre, light brush with oil to seal it.
10. Using two hands, gently flip the roll over. Brush the top with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
11. Repeat with second roll.
12. Roll over once, tuck in the sides and roll up into a tight parcel. Repeat to make 10 parcels.
13. Place filo rolls on prepared tray, seam-side down. Brush with oil and top with sesame seeds or chia seeds. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden.