When it comes to festive entertaining, think pink! This omega-3 rich baked salmon, infused with citrus, is as delicious as it is pretty on the plate. Packed with healthy fats, antioxidants and a lean source of protein, adding salmon to your diet can improve your health.
Serves 5-6 people
1- 1.2 kg piece salmon fillet with, skin on and pin bones removed*
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 fennel bulb, sliced – save a few fennel fronds for garnish (chopped)
2 tbsp capers, drained
2 lemons, sliced skin on
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp extra olive oil
1. Preheat Oven to 160°C. Line a very large baking dish with a large sheet of foil, long enough that it spills over the tray. Then place another large sheet of foil the opposite way so it resembles cross-like shape.
2. Arrange the fennel slices and half of the sliced lemons on the foil along the centre. Drizzle with half of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place salmon fillet (skin down) on top of fennel and lemon slices, then arrange the remaining lemon slices, capers and cherry tomatoes on top. Garnish with a handful of fennel fronds, drizzle with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pull the sides of the foil up around the fish and tightly seal the foil into a parcel leaving a gap at the top to allow the fish to steam.
5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork (medium to well), slightly longer for well cooked. Remove from the oven and open the parcel straight away, as otherwise the salmon will continue cooking. Remove from tray and place onto large serving platter.
6. To serve, use a fork to flake the warm salmon into chunks. Arrange on individual plates, garnish with fennel fronds, lemon wedges and enjoy with a side salad or roasted vegetables.