Looking for an impressive side to add to your festive holiday spread? Look no further than this eggplant bruschetta - perfect for BBQ entertaining. This side dish is a low carb twist on a classic, and it's vegetarian friendly!
Serves 2 main or 4 as a side | Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Skill level: Easy
1 large eggplant
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt Toppings 100g pulled mozzarella
1 punnet multi-coloured cherry tomatoes, quartered
½ cup pitted black olives, finely diced
½ red onion, finely diced
2 tbsp basil leaves, finely diced
2 tbsp pepita seeds
1. Preheat the grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Cut the eggplants into 2 cm thick circles.
3. Brush both sides with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill each side for 5 minutes until nicely charred, turning them from time to time. Set aside. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, onion, olives and basil in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
6. To assemble the bruschetta, evenly spread the tomato mixture over the eggplant slices. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with pepita and drizzle a little more olive oil. Serve.