Here’s a healthy spin on a traditional Mexican favourite. Served with nourishing avocado salsa to complement toasty coconut crusted prawns, it’s a definite crowd pleaser!
Serves 6, low in saturated fats and sugar. It is also suitable for pescatarians.
450g green prawns, peeled (roughly 24 prawns)
1 cup shredded coconut
Zest from ½ lime
½ cup coconut flour (or flour of choice)
2 tbsp olive oil
12 Mini wholegrain tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste
½ red onion finely chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 avocados, cored, chopped
1 cup coriander, chopped
1. Gather two mixing bowls and two plates. In a bowl, mix the shredded coconut, salt, and pepper and lime zest. In another bowl, crack the egg and whisk well. Spread coconut flour onto a plate.
2. Coat the prawns first in flour, then egg, and last in the coconut mix.
3. Once crumbed, place the prawns on a plate and refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
4. Prepare the salsa: In a medium bowl combine the onion, tomatoes, avocado, coriander and lime and mix well. Set aside.
5. Heat a fry pan over high heat. When hot, drizzle with 1-2 tbsp of oil. Allow oil to heat, but not smoke, then reduce to medium-high heat. Add 3-4 prawns at a time and shallow fry. Cook the prawns until browned on each side.
6. Serve with warm tortilla, salsa and squeeze of fresh lemon.