Nasi Goreng with Quinoa Recipe
The well-loved Indonesian dish of Nasi Goreng gets a healthy twist by switching up the carbs to quinoa, which also makes it gluten free! Super quick and easy to cook in only 15 minutes!
Serves 2, 10 mins preparation, 15 minutes cooking.
● 1 tbsp oil
● 1 clove garlic, minced
● 1 tsp ginger, minced
● 2 spring onions, finely chopped, extra for garnish
● 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
● 1 small red chilli, seeded, finely diced (optional)
● 200g free range chicken tenderloin, coarsely chopped.
● 3 prawns, tails and head removed, deveined, roughly chopped
● 2 cups cooked quinoa (gluten free)
● 1 tbsp kecap manis or sambal oelek (spicy)
● 1 cucumber, finely diced
● 2 tomatoes, deseeded, finely diced
● 2 free range eggs for frying
● Fresh coriander or bean sprouts to garnish
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add oil, garlic, ginger, chilli and shallots. Cook stirring for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the carrot and cook for a further 2 minutes until tender.
2. Add chicken and cook stirring for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is browned. Add the prawns and cook for a further 2 minutes until prawns and chicken are cooked through.
3. Add the cooked quinoa and kecap manis (or sambal oelek if you prefer a spicier dish) and stir well to coat. Turn off the heat.
4. Gently fold through the cucumber and tomatoes. Set aside
5. Heat a fry-pan over low-medium, drizzle a little oil and fry two eggs to your liking.
6. Divide rice mixture among serving bowls. Top with fried eggs, coriander and fresh bean sprouts. Season and serve.
TIP: Feel free to swap out the prawns and chicken for any other protein such as tofu, beef or pork.