Zucchini And Corn Fritters Recipe
Eggs and veggies are a delicious way to jump-start your metabolism and keep mid-morning munchies at bay. This meal is so delicious you might want it for lunch, too!
This recipe is high fibre, high protein and freezable. Serves 2. Each serve contains (no poached egg): 1523 kJ, 40g carbs, 17g protein, 12.5g fat and 10g fibre.
2 corn cobs, kernels removed
3 zucchini, grated with large box grater, excess liquid drained
2 tsp fresh thyme or lemon thyme leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup millet or rice flour
Salt and pepper
2 egg whites
Extra virgin olive oil spray, for frying
2 eggs for poaching (optional)
1. Combine corn kernels and zucchini in a large bowl. Add lemon thyme, beaten egg and flour. Season with salt and pepper, mix to combine.
2. Heat medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Whisk egg whites until they are frothy and have increased in volume, then fold through corn and zucchini mixture.
3. Spray pan with oil then add the mixture using 1/4 cup measure for each fritter. Cook for approximately 2 minutes each side or until golden. Cook in batches, covering cooked fritters in foil to keep warm.
4. In the meantime, prepare the poached eggs by bringing water to the boil with 1 tbsp vinegar and a pinch of salt. Once boiling, spin the water with a fork or spoon and crack eggs in one at a time. Cook for 3 minutes (runny yolks) or until your liking.
5. Divide fritters between 2 plates and top with a poached egg. Serve immediately.