Yummy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
These protein-packed stuffed portobello mushrooms are everyone’s favourite. A nourishing morsel filled with nutrient-rich nuts, beans and vitamins (especially vitamin D) makes them a perfect finger food or complementary side to fish or meat.
Serves 2-3 as a main or 4 as a side.
8 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
200g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
½ cup quinoa flakes
¼ cup pinenuts, roughly diced
3 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
50g feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup parmasan cheese, grated
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C
2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop. Reserve.
3. Place the mushroom caps, cut-side down, on the tray lined with baking paper.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 5 minutes or until just softened. Set aside. Leave the oven on.
5. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, drizzle with oil. Cook the onions for 3 minutes, add the garlic, mushroom stems and thyme and cook for a further minute.
6. Add the pinenuts to lightly toast for roughly 3 minutes
7. Add the beans and the 1tbsp lemon juice. Turn off the heat. Set aside
8. Mix the parmesan and qunioa flakes. Set aside.
9. To prepare the mushroom cups, divide bean mixture to each cup. Top with crumbed feta and quinoa mixture. Garnish with 2 tb parsley, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and place in pre-heated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
10. Serve immediately. Leftovers can last up to three days.