Hot-Smoked Ocean Trout And Barley Salad
Give substance to your salad with pearl barley – a nutrient-rich wholegrain packed full of health benefits, including improved digestion and balanced blood sugar levels .Teamed with omega-3 rich ocean trout, this nourishing salad will truly tantalise your taste buds.
300g hot-smoked trout fillets
8 pre-cooked baby beets, quartered
1 cup pearl barley
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup slivered almonds
1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into small pieces
50g goat’s cheese feta
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Half a fresh lemon, squeezed
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Place the pumpkin on a baking tray and toss with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Prepare the salad dressing by adding all ingredients in a screw top jar, season with salt and pepper and shake to combine. Set aside.
3. Prepare barley as per packet instructions, drain and set aside into a large-sized bowl. Allow to cool.
4. Mix in the rocket, beetroot wedges, feta and cooled pumpkin with the barely until well combined.
5. Scatter the barley mixture over a large serving platter. Arrange the trout pieces and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Drizzle the dressing and serve.