Glazed Dutch Carrots With Lentil And Haloumi Salad
Wow your guests with this super-nourishing and well-balanced carrot and haloumi salad for your next cookout.
This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, high protein and plant-based. Serves 2 as a main, or 4 as a side. Each main serve contains 2724 kJ, 27g carbs, 30g protein, 45g fat and10g fibre.
2 x bunches of Dutch carrots, tops trimmed (reserve for dressing)
½ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
2 tb maple syrup
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cooking oil spray
180g salt-reduced haloumi, sliced
200g (1/2 can) puy (brown) lentils, rinsed and drained
½ lemon, juiced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place carrots on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the macadamia nuts, maple syrup, 2 tb olive oil and salt and pepper, mix well.
4. Pour the maple and nut mixture over the carrots.
5. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, heat a fry pan over medium heat, spray with oil, cook haloumi for 2 minutes each side or until lightly golden brown. Set aside.
7. In a mixing bowl, place lentils, remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
8. Once carrots are cooked, serve on a large serving platter by placing the carrots and macadamias over a bed of lentils, and residue maple syrup and nut sauce from the baking tray. Top the carrots cooked haloumi and a squeeze of fresh lemon and garnish with parsley or radish