Buckwheat Blinis With Fig And Salmon
Throwing a party? Impress your guests with these gluten-free buckwheat blinis. They make a delectable hunger-busting brunch or kick off the festivities with some elegant nibbles.
Serves 5. This recipe is gluten-free.
½ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup rice flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 cup milk or milk alternative
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and extra for frying
4 fresh figs, sliced into eights
250g smoked salmon
1 bunch of dill
Freshly squeezed lemon to serve
1. In a large bowl sift the flours in with the baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl mix the egg yolk, milk and oil.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until batter is smooth and well combined.
4. Heat a medium fry pan, drizzle a little oil, pour 2 tbsp of the batter in pan – be careful not to spread batter to wide. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip the blini and cook until golden. Repeat for remaining mixture and set blinis aside on a large serving platter. Add extra oil to fry pan when required. Batter makes roughly 30 blinis.
5. To prepare the figs, chop each fig into eights.
6. To assemble the blinis, layer each blini with teaspoon ricotta, followed by another blini, 1 teaspoon ricotta, small piece of salmon and fig.
7. Garnish with dill and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.