Blood Orange, Mozzarella And Raddichio Salad
Super sweet blood oranges pack the vitamin-filled punch needed to keep you looking and feeling fresh, and are the only citrus fruit containing anthocyanins (a type of antioxidant) known to curb body fat accumulation.
6 blood oranges* (use 1 tsp for zest)
1 head radicchio
100g fresh mozzarella
½ cup pine nuts
2 large handfuls mint leaves, torn
crusty bread, to serve (optional)
*Use figs, pink grapefruit or oranges depending on what’s in season.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp balsamic
½ tsp blood orange zest
Squeeze of fresh lime juice to taste
1. To prepare the dressing, mix blood orange zest with the remaining dressing ingredients, and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. To prepare the oranges, take off the top and base of each and stand them on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice away the peel and pith, then slice the oranges across into approximately 1cm-thick slices
3. Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized fry pan over medium heat and toast the pine nuts until golden brown, shaking the pan occasionally. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Roughly tear the radicchio into pieces and scatter over a large platter with mozzarella pieces, mint leaves, sliced orange and pine nuts. Drizzle with dressing.
5. Serve with smoked salmon slices, baked fish or grilled meat and a crusty bread roll, or simply enjoy on it’s own.