Asian Inspired Chicken And Quinoa Salad
Eat the rainbow with this nourishing and nutrient-dense Chicken and Quinoa Salad. It contains cancer fighting antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to help protect your body against disease. Plus, it makes a great post-workout meal with plenty of protein and slow releasing (Low GI) carbohydrates for muscle regeneration and repair.
This recipe is gluten free (If using a gluten free soy sauce), dairy free, low GI, high protein and a great ‘post workout’ meal. Each serve contains 1790 kJ, 45g carbs, 20g protein, 15.5g fat, 7g fibre.
Other dietary adjustments:
Soy free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce
Vegetarian/vegan: Use tofu or tempeh instead of chicken, omit fish sauce
1 red capsicum, seeds removed
2 carrots, peeled
2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways & seeds scraped out
1 avocado, peeled
½ bunch mint, leaves picked
½ red cabbage, shredded
1 cup quinoa, rinsed, uncooked
500g chicken breast fillets, skinless
1 tbsp sesame seeds
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
1 garlic clove finely diced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp fish sauce
2cm piece Ginger, grated
Juice of 1 lime
1. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over chicken. Marinade the chicken for as long as possible preferably 4 hours – overnight.
2. To prepare the quinoa, place quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan over medium – high heat. Bring to the boil and then cover with lid and reduce to low. Simmer for 12 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered for a further 15 minutes. Remove lid, fluff up with a fork and set aside. (Can be prepared ahead of time as this dish does not need to be served hot)
3. Place chicken in baking dish lined with baking paper and bake in preheated 180 degree (Celsius) oven for 10-15minutes (until cooked through). Remove from oven.
4. While the chicken is cooking prepare the vegetables – Cut the red capsicum into thin strips and julienne (method of cutting into fine strips, resembling matchsticks) carrots and cucumber. Cut avocado into 1cm cubes.
5. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
6. To serve place ½ cup cooked quinoa in each bowl. Top with capsicum, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, mint and avocado (either toss to combine or arrange separated to show of the beautiful colours of this dish). Slice chicken thigh fillets and divide equally amongst the 4 plates, arranging on top of the vegetables. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.