Anzac Biscuits With Spiced Ricotta
While traditionally made with oats, white flour, white sugar, butter and golden syrup, we’ve given Anzac biscuits a healthy twist – keeping the fibre-rich oats and substituting heart-healthy fats such as almonds and extra virgin olive oil for extra goodness, extra crunch and some nutty flavour. Top with a creamy ricotta filling for some added protein and you’ve got a sustaining snack that’s sure to satisfy.
1.5 cup of oats
1 cup of whole almonds, crushed
1 cup of shredded coconut
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil (can use melted coconut oil or macadamia)
1/3 cup of maple syrup/honey or desired sweetener
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
4 tbsp of water
Spiced Ricotta Filling
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
2. Line baking tray with baking paper.
3. Combine oats, almonds, shredded coconut and baking powder in a bowl and mix well.
4. Add the oil (if using coconut oil, make sure it is completely liquid form by melting over stove), vanilla extract, sweetener and 2 tbsp of water, combine well. Add the rest of the water if mixture is too dry and won’t stick together.
5. Spoon mixture into round balls and flatten on baking tray (about 1cm thick).
6. Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown (watch them carefully so they don’t burn).
7. Meanwhile, make spiced ricotta by mixing all ingredients in a small serving dish.
8. Once biscuits are cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. Prepare spiced ricotta filling and serve each biscuit with a dollop, or sandwiched between two biscuits.
Biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.